Lycanthropy: The ability or power of a human being to undergo transformation into a wolf, or to gain wolf-like characteristics.
The term comes from Greek lykánthropos (λυκάνθρωπος): λυκος (lýkos) meaning "wolf," and άνθρωπος (ánthrōpos) meaning "human." The term is usually used to describe a human being who can transform into any animal form, but the correct term for such would be "therianthropy" or sometimes "zoanthropy." The term is also connected to Lycaon, a king of Arcadia, who was turned into a ravenous wolf after attempting to feed the flesh of his own son to Zeus to try to disprove the king's divinity.
There is also a mental illness called lycanthropy in which a patient believes he or she is, or has transformed into, an animal and behaves accordingly. This is sometimes referred to as clinical lycanthropy to distinguish it from its use in legends.
Here's the challenge. Draw a lycanthrope. I do have a few guidelines for this contest, though, and they are as follows:
- Must be muscular. Think about it, a muscular system combination between human and wolf. There is no such thing as a lanky lycanthrope.
- There can be more than one. You can make a pack of lycanthropes if you wish. The more the better.
- NO YAOI OR SHOUNEN-AI. I may be gay and from Japan (currently living in America), but I am so sick of yaoi and shounen-ai. I just can't stand it anymore. Plus, the whole idea of two lycanthropes being in a homosexual relationship is a bit strange, since they're still human, but they're animals as well... It's bestiality, which is wrong.
- NO TWILIGHT OR WOLF'S RAIN. Twilight's "lycanthropes" aren't even lycanthropes, so don't even go there. Wolf's Rain is the basis of bad werewolf fan fiction nowadays. I love it, but I'd rather you did not bring it into the challenge.
- Make it original. I'd be more than willing to give you some suggestions if you're stuck. Maybe you can base it off of Native American culture and spirits. Maybe you can make the lycanthrope look more human to base it more on the actual disease. Anything, just remember the first bulletin.
- Make it appropriate. We all know that we need to keep with theOtaku's guidelines.
You have one month to hand in your entries. You are limited to only one entry to keep it fair to everybody else.